Mid-Level or Senior Project Designer
Bora is an architectural firm in Portland, Oregon, with an office of 65 people working with clients across the country. Our expertise includes cultural facilities, educational buildings, residential design and workplace environments. Our work is recognized for its emphasis on beauty, craft and innovative functionality. Passion for new solutions, sustainability and positive social impact has driven our practice from the beginning. But nothing is more fundamental to our work than our deep commitment to involving our clients in the creative process. We believe that meaningful architecture can transform the lives of everyone it touches.
We are seeking candidates with 5-15 years of experience who excel at critical design thinking, are creative problem solvers, and bring exceptional graphic communication skills. Applicants should be self-motivated to meet project deadlines, possess a skillful design vocabulary, and be prepared to lead and contribute to developing innovative design solutions with skill and grace in a collaborative environment.
Primary Responsibilities Will Include:
- Lead design team on design projects, including programming client needs, conceptual design, schematic design, and design development.
- Present design schemes to clients as part of Marketing pursuits and Project presentations
- Work with consultants, contractors, fabricators, specification writers, and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives.
- Resolve complex technical and design issues.
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication, and consultant coordination.
- Provide project team coordination for the finished plans, specifications, and material selections required for construction.
- Participate in the construction administration of projects and review of submittals and finish samples.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs.
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Architecture required
- Registration preferred
- 5-15 years of related experience in architecture for K-12 schools, higher education, the arts, mixed-use development, and/or workplace environments
- Experience in sustainable design practices and LEED accreditation is preferred
- Ability to interact confidently, articulately and thoughtfully with Clients
- Experience leading team efforts and working to multiple deadlines on different projects
- Extensive knowledge of 3D modeling, presentation and design software: Sketchup, Rhino, 3D studio Max, Revit, and Photoshop are key
- Strong graphic and verbal communication skills
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant in our employee-driven firm culture
Compensation and Benefits:
- Full-time position (While occasional overtime may be required, Bora respects and encourages work/life balance)
- Pay commensurate with experience
- Paid Family Leave Policy
- Medical/dental/vision coverage provided
- Use of Bora-owned Oregon Coast beach house
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
In your letter, indicate where you heard about the position you’re applying for, address your previous experience, and describe what you would bring to the firm if hired. We look forward to hearing from you!